One foot at a time | One sole at a time | One hell of a good time


Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mt. Whitney Summitted Barefoot #3

Photo by Patrick Fitz

Last month while climbing Gorgonio, highest peak in SoCal, I suggested to Larry that he should try climbing Mt. Whitney barefoot. He had read of my previous successes, and as a 10 year barefooting veteran, I knew he was up to it.

Well, that's exactly what we did.

Larry and his family got a camp space in Lone Pine Campground (camp 38, same one as on July 4, 2005), got some permits and gave me a call. I was still a little sore after Friday night's all-night run, but could not think of turning down a chance to climb Whitney again.

I drove up from LA on Monday evening, had a bite to eat, went to bed, got up at 4am, started hiking by around 5:20am, got down by 2pm and was back on the road to LA by around 4pm and home by around 7pm. That is a LONG day.

I went up barefoot and came down wearing my Vibram FiveFinger Sprints. Larry came down wearing his BFT Huaraches. I got up and down in about 9 hours. It was a fantastic day.

Looking forward to climbing again. I am even thinking about attempting a dual summit climb, i.e., climbing to the summit twice in one day. Dreaming.


First Summit Report here
Second Report here
Great map here
Great Video of the Trail here
Whitney Portal Forum Link here

Labels: , , ,

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Badwater Ultramarathon 2007

Adalberto (Flaco) Mendoza, 11th Place. 32 hours
BFT, Nancy, Jose Luis, Flaco, Emilio, Milton
July 22-25, 2007

This video covers Flaco's race from start to finish.

This video covers Jorge's race from start to finish using Mari's video

Before the Race in Furnace Creek
Jorge, Jose Luis, Emilio, BFT and Flaco.

John Radich (33:08, 15th) at the Award Ceremony

Gary Hilliard (41:43) at the Award Ceremony

Tracy Thomas (37:26 3rd woman) at the Award Ceremony

Jorge Pacheco (26:41 4th) at the Award Ceremony

Labels: , ,

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Mt. Whitney Redone - UPDATE

Update! Just in, photo of me on the summit.

Me at the top with my sandals ready to go down

Photo by Greg Kloes

Howdy Folks

Yep, I went and climbed Mt. Whitney again, 3 weeks after my first summit on July 4th. Things went MUCH smoother this time. Last time, it took over 8 hours to get to the summit. This time it only took 3 hours and 45 minutes to get to the top! It really helps to be going up during the day. Also, most of the snow is now gone.

I am awaiting photos from various folks whom I met on the way up and down who took photos of me for this blog.

Photo by Tom Inskeep
Somewhere on Trail Crest coming down with sandals

Close-up of sandals and little blood

Thanks to Jed Charlesworth who took this photo of me at the end of my run. The blue thing on my neck is a foot-shaped felt cut-out filled with white sage that my daughter made for me for Father's Day. I have worn it for good luck both times up. It works.

Home free
click to enlarge

Jed was taking photos of another couple who had just finished a multiple week hike on the John Muir Trail. They had met me 3 weeks ago on the Trail Crest. Apparently, in my nearly delusional state, I was telling everyone I met up there that the sign that says 1.9 miles to the summit should read one point nine hundred miles!

I did wear my sandals coming down. I am too impatient to come down barefoot.

More photos and stories soon.

To read my report and read comments at the Whitney Portal Discussion Board, click here.

Best, Barefoot Ted

Labels: , , ,

Monday, July 04, 2005

Mt. Whitney Summitted Barefoot

A big THANKS to Andy Kumeda and purEndurance.com for organizing this trip!

And, yes, thanks to Dennis Lee and his wife for loaning me an ice axe at the frozen snow traverse. Without you, I would not have been able to continue safely. Thanks! And, congratulations to your wife. I know she was suffering from the altitude even before the switchbacks. Thanks for the photos, too.

Dennis Lee took this photo of me descending at the Windows

The Windows with Special Sandals I wore for the descent

Me at the finish 12+ hours after starting up...

Mt. Whitney from a safe distance

I am going up there?

Started midnight July 4th with Andy Kumeda. Summitted at 8 am. Back to Whitney Portal by 12:30 pm. Got lost MANY times, especially going up at night. It was hard to find the trail in snowy sections. Dennis Lee and his wife, together with Andy and I worked as a team to find the trail in certain sections. I feel confident that I could get to the summit in 4 hours without snow and not getting lost. Maybe I'll try again later this year.

I was curious to find out if anyone else has climbed to the summit barefooted. So, I posted a question at the Whitney Portal Store Message Board. Click here to read the responses. According to Whitney Portal Doug it seems common to the point of a non event! Okay?!

Looking up to Trail Crest

Wore my special rope sandals with wool socks coming down. Went through snow, rivers, mud. They dry very quicky. Absolutely no blisters, not even a hint. That's the benefit of lightweight footwear.

Looking down from Trail Crest

Crossing streams is more fun barefoot...

Best, Barefoot Ted

PS. I stubbed a little toe up on the Trail Crest and left a little half-penny sized blood stain on the rocks all the way to the summit. I actually saw them for miles as I descended.

Photo of blood on rock

PSS. I did have some unusual visual hallucinations, probably from sleep deprivation and altitude, while descending the mountain and driving back to LA.Click here to read my report at the Whitney Portal Message Board.

Labels: , , , , ,


Copyrighted 2004-2010 Barefoot Ted's Adventures